Monday, March 24, 2014

Dump'STAR' Table

Do you know what happiness is? Finding a piece of furniture for free.
Do you know who's happy?  Me finding that piece of furniture. And fixing it up . And feeling proud of my work while drinking...coffee.


I call it DumpSTAR table because it was rescued from a trip to the dumpster. I love the neighborhood dumpster day that happens once a year, when everyone throws away what they don't want. Oh it's shopping day for me.(Did I say that out loud?)
This little table was going to the dumpster, but made a turn on the way and showed up at my garage.



It was not very pretty, but look at the legs and it's Thomasville table. Worth saving in my book.
 
 The process:

I had in mind to bring out the beauty of the wood grain that was under the black paint. I could already see there was beautiful wood on the top of the table.
Onto stripping it all down. This is what I used.  Oh what a mess :

 
 
 


 
 
It works but it's so messy. But it sure makes some interesting photos. Cleaned it all up. Here's the clean raw wood I was talking about.
 

 
To stain the table I used one of my favorite products:
 
All the safety gear

Stain and top coat
 
This goes on first
 
I did one coat of the conditioner first(helps with the streaky lines) and one coat of stain. I did a very light distressing at the edges and legs, and finished it with a coat of the gel topcoat. Put a new drawer handle and lined the bottom of the drawer.  Here it is now:
 
 
 





 
I'm in love with the transformation and I absolutely love the gel stains, especially this yummy rich chocolate like Java stain.
 
 
 It's a beautiful Dump'STAR' table don't you think?
 
 
 
Love to all and happy Spring!
With Love,
Roza
 




No comments:

Post a Comment